Saturday, August 11, 2012

Camp Time!


My mom and I drove out to Lake George with all four children to spend last week at my grandmother's summer cottage. It's always magical to be surrounded by extended family and the wonders that the lake and its surroundings offer to the kids. Norah's fifth birthday was on Sunday and she loved celebrating it with her third cousins.


 I took exactly ZERO pictures of our many adventures in the water, but Tegegn and Tiruye loved it and I predict they will develop into little fish just like their older siblings. Tiruye took one look at all the big kids going off the water slide and rope swing into the lake and demanded to be given a turn. That will have to wait until next year since she's still working on blowing bubbles in the water without inhaling half the lake.

Below, Tiruye demonstrates how adorably sad she looks whenever she's told "no".
 We visited Fort Ticonderoga where there was a children's workshop on harvesting from the gardens there. Norah got to dig up potatoes and insisted on bringing some home to Indiana to share with Paul.

 Atticus and Norah love chatting with people recreating history at the fort.  Shortly after this picture, when the little kids [and I] were about to melt down, I realized that Tegegn had opened the zipper on the pouch of my Ergo carrier and my car keys were missing. Fortunately, one of the members of the fife and drum corps was able to tell me that they'd been turned into the main office before I could become completely hysterical at the idea of being trapped at the fort for hours with tired little people.
Vacationing with four children and no spouse was a little bit exhausting even though I had a ton of help from my parents and other family members, but the memories made are precious. Thank you for hosting us, Nommie and Grandpa Terry!

No comments: