Monday, March 5, 2012

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...

You know what it's like when you're waiting for a really important call from your doctor and you keep your phone right next to you all the time? Then when it doesn't ring, you turn it on just to make sure there's a dial tone and afterwards you check your voicemail to make sure a call didn't come in while you were listening to the dial tone? Nearly all the communication we get about our adoption comes via email, but the basic premise is the same. I check my email as soon as I get up. I check it on my phone every time I hear the chirp that indicates a new message. I look at the computer every time I pass it because sometimes emails arrive to the account on my computer a few minutes before my phone registers their existence. This has been going on since approximately February of last year. Thirteen months ago.

It's been eight months since we were matched with E and Z and began to grow attached to them in our hearts.

It has been nine weeks since we said goodbye to them. We haven't received any updated pictures or medical updates about them since then and our agency doesn't expect that we will at any time in the future.

Five weeks and five days have passed since we were granted custody by the Ethiopian court. As you may recall from my earlier post, we were told that it would take about 3-6 weeks for our case to be submitted to the U.S. Embassy. Currently, our agency is telling us that we will be submitted to the embassy on Thursday, 3/8. Crossed fingers and positive thoughts would be much appreciated.

Once families are submitted to the embassy, process times are still running the gamut. I've heard a few accounts of families being cleared to bring their kids home two weeks after submission. Lots of people are being raked over the coals for a few more months. Some families are being sent on odysseys that take up to a year. I'm dreading this step and the fresh unknowns it will bring, but I'm also incredibly anxious to be submitted so that we can at least begin this last part of the journey.

Recently, a few people have made the mistake of saying, "Gosh, that sounds so hard. It must be like the last few weeks of pregnancy!" First, let me say that I know that this comment comes from a heartfelt attempt to be empathetic. I really do understand and appreciate that. However, during the last few weeks of a normal pregnancy, most women may be uncomfortable and eager to see the show get on the road, but at least they have the privilege of knowing that their baby is safe and growing. That baby is exactly where he or she should be. E and Z are in an orphanage. They are almost two years old. We don't know when we will be able to bring them home. I'll leave you to read between the lines, but suffice it to say that the next time someone compares this wait to a pregnancy, I will tell that person to stick it where the sun don't shine.

5 comments:

Jane said...

I will continue thinking positive thoughts x 2 daily and will add extras on Thursday!

Jane said...

I will continue thinking positive thoughts x 2 daily and will add extras on Thursday!

John and Jenna Gensic said...

And you have every right to tell them that. They need a wake-up call. I pray for you guys daily. Sending love and positive energy to your family and your beautiful kiddos!

Pebble to Stone said...

Hang in there! And yup. People say some really, really stupid stuff. I don't think the *mean* to be stupid, they just probably haven't been through the torture that is international adoption. I was a whack job for a little over a year. Really. So so so hard. Stay strong.

ed said...

We wll have everything crossed on Thursday and send prayers along also.