Monday, November 8, 2010

Dossier Mailed

It feels fitting that we mailed our dossier today. It was exactly three years ago that we received the phone call telling us that we had been chosen to adopt Atticus and Norah. That night was one that changed the course of our lives and I'm so grateful. Putting our paperwork together last night brought up all sorts of feelings for me - especially fear about what challenges we may face and panic about whether we'll be able to rise to the occasion. This afternoon, however, there was giddy excitement. We're actually doing this. Eventually, we're going to get to experience The Call again when someone tells us that we have more children to love and make a part of our family. I was scared before we adopted Atticus and Norah, too. I was worried that we would be overwhelmed, that having children would destroy our marriage, that we were getting in over our heads. The last three years have been overwhelming and challenging at times, but they've also been some of the very best years of my life and I wouldn't change anything if I had the chance.