Friday, October 8, 2010

Following the Rules

When Paul and I went up to bed, we discovered that Atticus had found a new place to sleep while adhering to the rule that he has to stay in his bedroom. He had set up his sheet, water, pillow, dog, duck, bear, and comforter and was sound asleep.

Those who know Atticus well can attest that he is a loving, curious, and charming little guy who can throw incredible tantrums. We very seriously expect him to find a career in civil disobedience because the kid can turn on the boneless legs and howls of outrage like few children I've met. I feel guilty posting about it, because I don't want anyone to think badly of my child. Really, most of the time he's delightful. To say that the tantrums test our patience, however, would be fair. At any rate, on Tuesday he started to get upset because Norah had gotten into the carseat that he wanted. I could tell that we were about ten seconds away from a meltdown and I was feeling really frustrated so I said, "Atticus, you are not allowed to have tantrums anymore." And then he sat down in his carseat and hasn't had a tantrum since. He's had moments of being upset, of course, but no full-on fits. Two years of reading parenting books for ideas, talking to him about his feelings, removing him from situations...I know the effect of this rule may not be permanent, but we'll enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: