Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Their First Day of School

Gulp...

Excitement: the feeling of lively and cheerful joy
Today was finally the day. The kids were indeed very lively and full of joy. I took a personal day so that I wouldn't miss out on the occasion and everyone woke up full of anticipation. After a few minor hiccups (Atticus deeming his handsome collared shirt to be "terrible" and his motorcycle T-shirt to be "more cozy"), we were off.

Norah found her locker right away and was delighted to find out that breakfast is a part of the morning routine at school. She happily accepted a bowl of cereal and was fine with kissing me goodbye. When I last peeked in, she was wandering around the room looking happy with the situation.
The principal led Atticus to his classroom while I was getting Norah situated. When I checked in five minutes later, he was already hard at work looking completely unfazed by the new environment. He gave me a distracted kiss and said he'd see me later.

This is what I wanted, right? For them to head off to school joyfully without any trepidation?
It still makes me want to cry a little bit.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Yay :). I will probably cry. I got choked up just reading this post...