Monday, July 5, 2010

Snippets of Life


  • Paul left for Africa yesterday and I already miss him terribly. We haven't been away from each other for more than a few days at a stretch the entire time we've been married. Right now, two and a half weeks seems interminable.
  • According to his itinerary, he's on a layover at Heathrow Airport in London right now and should be arriving in Kampala, Uganda shortly after midnight our time tonight (7:45 a.m. Uganda time).
  • The fireworks last night were a huge hit. I hadn't planned on letting the kids stay up, but it was too noisy for them to ignore. They crowded around the window of our bedroom until nearly midnight (!) oohing and aahing over every single firework.
  • Atticus keeps setting the timer and telling me that when it goes off we'll fly on an airplane.
  • Atticus and Norah both get up in the morning and immediately ask, "Where's my brother/sister?"
  • We regularly find them with their arms around each other chanting "Best friends!"
  • They've eaten all the raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries off of my plants - including the berries that weren't anywhere near ripe. Seeing their joy in doing it, however, has totally made the gardening efforts worth it.
  • Norah stood next to the garden yesterday shouting, "Hurry! Grow! I want to eat you!" at the corn.
  • I routinely remind them not to poo-poo in the pool when we go. Now Atticus has started attaching this warning to every place we visit. "Remember, no pooping in the library!"
  • We've been walking past their new school every morning. A new building is being constructed and, since we've told them they won't start school until after Norah's birthday, the kids have decided that the new school is Norah's birthday present. Atticus reminds us that we can't go poo-poo in the school.
  • Our upstairs air conditioner went on the fritz yesterday, right in time for Paul to leave the country and the local temperature to reach the 90's. I'm feeling very tempted to surprise my husband with newly-installed central air when he gets home. Luckily, the kids and I will be leaving for the lake soon, so I won't have to spend too much time resisting the temptation to drain our bank account. One disadvantage of living in an old house is that installing central air would require a lot of updates in our duct work.
  • I cut Atticus's hair by myself this morning and it actually looks pretty good. The trick was remembering to run the clippers against the grain of his hair.

No comments: