Monday, September 28, 2009

AAACK!!!!!

I JUST SAW MY DOG CATCH AND EAT A LIVE MOUSE!!!!!!

There are not enough capital letters and exclamation points on the planet to properly express my disgust right now. I was sitting at the kitchen table and Stella was on the floor next to me. Suddenly she leaped up, ran across the room, and doubled back as the little mouse ran between her legs. Then, she caught it and ran in the living room. I chased after her and got my hands on her collar just in time to see her tip back her head and gulp down the tail. ARGH!

How long has this been going on? Do we secretly have a mouse infestation whose severity we didn't understand because the dog has been eating the mice after we go to bed at night? What about out in the yard? Chipmunks? Squirrels? Cats? Just what has Stella been eating that I was blissfully unaware of?

4 comments:

Rita said...

Ok, so I just clinked the link to your blog from The Family blog (I know Shelley from church)and had to laugh at the title of the post! I have also witnessed this rather disgusting cat-like trait in our dog! He just gulped it down whole!? I was not prepared for it and hope to never see it again! Thanks for an amusing post!

Christina said...

Okay, I am sufficiently grossed out. Yeck.

AnneMarie said...

Ah, Stella..............we've never appreciated your many talents,have we?!! Please don't teach this disgusting trick to Kramer.

Debbie said...

One of our dogs came running into the house with a baby rabbit a couple months ago. Fortunately, we didn't watch her eat the rabbit, but regardless, I did not handle it well. I'm sure I'd be in therapy now if I actually saw either of our dogs eating a live creature, even though it is all part of the circle of life.