Saturday, July 25, 2009

Potty Training Dilemma

I know I promised I wouldn't write about potty training again. I swear this is more about sibling interaction than it is about poop.

For the past couple of days Atticus has been rocking it with the potty training. His reward for going on the potty is one of those Cars tattoo Band-Aids stuck to his hands or knees and it's very exciting for him. Unfortunately, Norah is also desperate to get a sticker but truly doesn't seem to understand the connection between the action and reward. As soon as Atticus gets his sticker she very nicely asks for one too. We urge her to try going potty to see if she can earn one, but that's just not happening for her yet. Yesterday she started picking up random slips of paper she'd found and trying to plaster them to her knees. Finally, Atticus took her by the hand and led her to me saying, "Please Mama. Sticker for Norah please." It broke our hearts and Paul and I were still discussing it as we went to bed last night. We felt so mean for not giving Norah a sticker.

I think we're going to try giving both of them a sticker whenever one of them uses the potty. Our hope is that this will encourage positive peer pressure rather than taking away any future incentive for Norah to use the potty herself. I feel like this is a slippery slope. Today it's giving them both stickers. Tomorrow we'll be doctoring their SAT scores so that neither of them has low self-esteem.

3 comments:

dcfullest said...

Just a thought... is their something else she is working on learning? Could she get stickers for that? That way the reward has a "purpose."

Meg said...

Sorry I don't have any advice but it is interesting and I'd love to hear updates...

Kristin said...

Your kids are so freakin' cute! I don't have any advice. But I think it is a good sign, MommaBear, that you'd be willing to doctor their SATs!