Saturday, March 28, 2009

Some Things That Didn't Go As Planned

This morning I broke a light bulb and shut the kids in the living room while I cleaned it up. When I came back, this is what they were doing:
Please note that I had not left the television on. I also didn't leave the drawer empty and open. There's no need to comment on how dangerous this is. It's a very sturdy chest of drawers and we arranged the structure to be as stable as possible, but I was still horrified. We will be installing child locks on the drawers and tethering the furniture to the wall.
(As a side note, aren't you sick of reading disclaimers like this on blogs written by mothers? I'm sick of writing them and would like to assume that anyone who knows me or has read my blog would have enough faith in me to realize that I'm not an idiot hellbent on letting my children kill themselves. Still, there always seems to be at least one commenter who's available to let me know that should my child eat a pound of the flowers pictured behind her, she could be poisoned!!!! In fact, after creating this post, I almost deleted the picture of the kids in the drawer and the picture of Norah with paint on her mouth because I didn't want to have to deal with anyone thinking I was putting my kids in harm's way. At any rate, I'm going to try to stop explaining my actions so much. I'm a decent mother and I'm doing my best to keep my kids safe. On occasion, when they do something ridiculous but not imminently dangerous, I take a picture before I fix the situation.)

Then, because our floors were just way too clean, I decided to help the kids make a painting. It started out pretty well - shirts were removed ahead of time, a towel was beneath the canvas.

Then Atticus and Norah took it upon themselves to show me I still have some things to learn in the area of organizing craft projects for children:





11 comments:

Christina said...

So cute! I love it. It looks like they definitely had a great time.

I, too, hate having to put disclaimers in posts. Maybe we should create a little "I may not look like it, but I know what I'm doing" tag that can be added to the top of any posts when you don't want "guidance" from well meaning (let's face it, know-it-all) commenters. :)

Christina said...

Okay, you know what I just realized? My post about moving D to the big boy bed? Almost the entire body of the post contains reasons why we moved him, because I was afraid that someone was going to comment that it was a really dumb move to stick an 18 month old in a queen bed. Even though I know my kiddo, and I know what he can handle, I still felt like I didn't want to deal with "those" comments. I'm sure I'm still going to get one, though.

I really need the "I know what I'm doing" tag... :)

Meg said...

Decent?!?! Please - you sound to me like an AMAZING mom!
And of course you should never have to explain yourself especially on your own blog...

lindsay said...

That picture of Norah holding her foot really shows how beautiful she is. Her eyes really struck me in that photo.

And really, how could Mr. Noodle, the most annoying character in the universe just happen to be on TV? Someone had a plan in that ;)

xoxo

Life in the Bend said...

Lindsay, the DVD player had an Elmo disc in it. When you turn our TV on and turn the channel, the DVD begins to play automatically. Norah has figured this out far too fast.;)

dcfullest said...

Looks like it was a perfect project in my book.

Don't you wish houses came with indoor sprinklers? If you had a mess all you would need to do is turn them on and everything would wash away.

Phatchik said...

Kids are going to get into stuff and moms (and dads) are going to make mistakes. That's life. But it is always very evident that you love your children, want what is best for them and want them to have FUN!! And THAT is what is important. No disclaimers necessary.

Lonnie said...

You're much more than a "decent mother"! I'm glad you post things like this. I laugh and also realize that kiddos are wonderfully unpredictable. No need for disclaimers in my eyes.

ben said...

i love this.

ben from www.youbettermakeitadouble.blogspot.com

Ed said...

Love the pictures....Kids will be kids and they will always find a way to do/get into something that you would never dream they could.
That is life, you can only do your best and hope for the best in all situations. Keep your chin up and enjoy the kids nows because they will grow up much too quick.

John Gensic said...

I would have made a video and played the song from Top Gun "Danger Zone" in the background then post to YouTube. That might get the Today Show to give a national interview. Then you give a plug to Better World Books and the rest is history. Let me know when when you'll be on, we'll tape it.