Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Cloth Diaper Experiment

My snow day combined with today's holiday meant that I had a nice long weekend at home with the kids. I always like to have a little challenge when Paul's away working, so I thought it might be time to give cloth diapers a try again. Before the kids came home, we decided we were going to be all about saving the environment and cloth diapering our kids. That lasted approximately two diaper changes. According to several sources I've since read, including Ask Umbra, it's actually a toss-up as to whether cloth diapers or disposables are worse for the environment. Still, we invested a fair amount of money in our cloth diaper stash and I decided we should either try using them again or sell them. (I should note, however, that we got a TON of use out of our pre-fold diapers by using them as spit-up rags when Norah was still suffering from reflux. For that alone, they were worth the cost to me.)

Anyway, my tolerance for grossness has increased immeasurably in the last year and we're also not overwhelmed by new parenthood anymore. The cloth diapers worked fine and we're going to continue to use them when the kids are at home. In case anyone is interested, we use traditional cotton pre-fold diapers inside Bummis Whisper Wraps. They didn't leak all weekend, washed and dried easily, and the kids seem comfortable.

In other news, we played with dried beans and rice for the first time today. Atticus and Norah loved it, but had even more fun "helping" me clean up. They pushed the Swiffer around for a good 45 minutes. Finally, Norah put on my scarf and shoes. I think she was pretending to be me, because then she came over to me and gave me a very mommy-like kiss on the forehead. Is that what I look like every day when I kiss her goodbye? If only I were that cute!


1 comment:

The Six of Us said...

Besides, Cloth diaper bums are WAY cute!