Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sarah Palin

Did you see this clip of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler playing Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton on Saturday Night Live?

I've hesitated to post about Sarah Palin because I wanted to do it well. I don't know how to express how angry McCain's decision to choose her has made me. I used to think McCain was an acceptable candidate. I wasn't in love with him and I didn't plan to vote for him, but I didn't think it would be a complete disaster if he won the election. However, I find it so condescending and insulting that the Republican party believed that nominating a woman, any woman, would be the way to win the vote. The fact that much of America does seem to be falling for it is even more discouraging. This whole scenario is like some bad situation comedy like Kindergarten Cop where someone completely unqualified for a job ends up having to do it. I don't think this is funny.

I don't think hunting for fun qualifies you to be president. I don't believe being a mother of five children does. Living next to Russia doesn't count and neither does being the mayor of a tiny town or the governor of Alaska for two years. In addition, having a child and grandchild that weren't aborted doesn't qualify you to be president! The way her daughter and infant son have been trotted out as political pawns disgusts me. If John McCain truly thinks this woman is the best-qualified candidate to lead our nation in the event of his death, then I have lost all respect for his judgement.

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

Amen!

Lonnie said...

Well said. I completely agree.

Christina said...

254% agree. It's like Damon said, this is a Disney movie run amok.

karen.kruse said...

I couldn't disagree more. Sarah has taken on the establishment in her own party and won. She has had to deal with border issues with both Russia and Canada. You don't have to worry about whether or not to believe her - she says what she means, and she will not tolerate corruption. She is well respected in Alaska - extremely popular as Governor. This I know because my daughter works for the state of Alaska. Why did Democrats put a female on the ticket all those years ago? I know you weren't old enough to be aware of Geraldine Ferrarro. Would that have offended you as well? What if Obama had selected Hilary? Take a close look at who has management experience in the presidential race, and don't be caught up by party hacks saying what they think they need to say to put down the opposition. I would think that, as a woman, you would be proud to have a woman on the ballot, especially one who is pro-life. Besides, I thought that the Republicans were the intolerant party and the Democrats were so accepting - of all ideas that agree with theirs, I guess.