Thursday, August 21, 2008

Party Tricks

Some things I don't want to forget:

Atticus loves to be chased. He'll walk away from where I'm sitting and glance over at me impatiently until I yell, "I'm going to get you!" I chase him into a corner then pick him up and kiss his neck or tummy. He could play this game for hours. Also popular right now is the ridiculously loud popping push toy that my parents so generously gave Norah for her birthday. We've offered to let my mother-in-law keep it at daycare, but so far she hasn't accepted. Additionally, he is fascinated with trying to climb in and out of the bathtub and is pretty frustrated that we're not more encouraging of this new interest. The second most entertaining thing about bath time is drinking water out of the huge pitcher we use to rinse their hair. The child can chug water with the best of them. Perhaps he's preparing to matriculate at Notre Dame.

Norah has begun to say "bye-bye" every once in awhile and yesterday she started to say "yeah". We've been asking her lots of yes-or-no questions about her opinions. This morning as she was trying to put on her bathing suit (?!) I asked her if she thought Paul and I should call in sick so we could all go to the beach. The fact that she answered "yeah" in her tiny little voice made it even harder to resist the idea. She is also trying to climb anything and everything. Tonight she attempted to climb up the walls using the baseboard as a step. She can't climb the stairs as fast as her brother (probably because she likes to stop frequently and applaud for herself), but pretty soon we'll be able to have some competitive races around here.

I reviewed my own advice to teachers tonight. Goodness gracious, my new students are testing the living daylights out of me. It's exhausting and discouraging. I haven't lost my cool so far, but I've been called some really nasty words anyway. I have some nice kids in my class along with a few who are hoping to become king or queen of the classroom. I would rather stay home and hang out with Norah and Atticus, neither of whom has learned to say the phrase "This is stupid". I keep reminding myself that this is par for the course. It will get better with perseverance (I hope). Be firm. Be fair. Be consistent.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

I want to see a video of Norah talking! And Atticus, too.