Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I Am Not a Good Samaritan



Yesterday I had just put the kids down for their nap when I heard a thunk outside the house. I looked out the front window and saw a man sitting on our front curb rocking back and forth and acting disoriented. It occurred to me to open the door and ask him if he needed help, but I was too scared considering that he'd just apparently thrown something at our house. Instead, I called the police dispatcher and reported what had happened. I said I was concerned that the man might need help and would like someone to drive by and check to make sure he was okay. After finishing the phone call, I looked out and saw him limping down the street, so I opened up the front door. The object he'd thrown? A newspaper. That's right. I called the police because the paperman threw a paper at our house. Whoops. I bet the police officer told that story down at the station.
One reason that I may be a little less rational than usual is that we're having some major sleep drama at our house these days. For the past week or so, Atticus has woken up every night and screamed from about midnight until 4 a.m. He calms down when we rock him, but the minute we put him back in the crib (even if he's asleep) he begins to howl again as though scared for his life. He's very happy and well-adjusted during the day and goes down for naps and at bedtime without a fuss, so we're really confused about why this is happening. In the light of day I can understand that this is probably just a phase and he simply needs some extra reassurance right now. In the middle of the night, however, it's so disheartening and frustrating. It's just awful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, that story made me laugh! Hope you guys get some more sleep soon - Zoe.

Tricia said...

Hey- you had two babies in the house...you never know.