Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Grr...

I received another one of those "Barack Hussein Obama" forwards in my e-mail yesterday. You know the ones that talk about how he is a closet Muslim and atheist simultaneously? Political opinions and actual fact aside, it chills me that accusing someone of being Muslim is seen as an appropriate and allowable character attack in this country. Bigoted much? As the parent of two black children with "foreign" sounding middle names, it irritates me all the more. I'm sure most people who pass along these e-mails do so without thinking or possibly even without reading through the entire message and I've been trying to think of a way to post about this diplomatically or to ignore the whole thing altogether. I did ignore that same e-mail the first few times it was forwarded to me. I also ignored the forward about how Mexican immigrants are trying to replace good old American values and take over the United States even though the person who forwarded it to me knew that I teach in a school composed primarily of Latino students and should have thought about the fact that I probably wouldn't appreciate getting a xenophobic e-mail like that. Tell me readers, what would you do?

In family news, the kids spent their first morning in their Grandma Bebe's daycare while I had some dental work done. I think they really enjoyed it! When I came to pick them up, Atticus spotted me across the room, gave a huge grin, and started speed-crawling toward me. Norah has begun to giggle a lot and smile to show her pretty new teeth. These two children totally have me wrapped around their little fingers.


Public Service Announcement of the Day: I read this blog regularly. It is written by the mother of many children, two of whom were adopted from Ethiopia and are HIV positive. Erin has asked readers to pass along the following facts:

- HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles).
- HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives.
- People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do.
If anyone wants more info on transmission, there is great info on the Center for Disease Control website at
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/transmission.htm

P.S. We took Atticus to the doctor today to make sure he didn't have some sort of illness that was responsible for his night wakeups. No such luck. He was pronounced healthy as a horse. I'm very grateful for that, but wouldn't it have been nice if his insomnia could have been cured by a nice round of amoxicillian?

2 comments:

Nutmeg said...

My mother used to send me e-mails like that all the time until I asked her to stop sending me all those racist messages. "What racist messages?" she asked. I explained to her what bothered me about the e-mails and she sincerely said that she had never thought about them that way (I refrained from delving into exactly how she could have seen them any other way). She doesn't send them anymore...I share your annoyance.

I also love looking at photos of your kids!

J said...

At my work, when urban legend type emails circulate, one particular person in our office always checks it out on snopes.com, and if it turns out to be false, he hits reply to all and emails the link. I think this is the one that addresses the email you got:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp
Now addressing being Muslim as an acceptable character attack is something else entirely.