Wednesday, March 12, 2008

10 Random Facts

I have been tagged by Christina.

Rules of play:Post 10 random things about yourself. Choose 5 people to tag and a reason you chose each person (can be totally nonsensical). Leave them each a comment directing them to your blog so they know they are it .You can't tag the person who tagged you (you'll have to make new friends). As a courtesy to the person who tagged you, please let them know when you have posted so they can have the sheer delight and extra work load of reading your answers. Play!!

1.) I waitressed at Nick's Patio, a local dive, for two summers. This always shocks people, possibly because many of the waitresses there appear to have substance abuse problems.

2.) The owner once accused me - in front of a customer - of picking food off the floor after breaking a plate and re-serving it to the customer. The customer told the owner off. I didn't quit.

3.) My first job after college was as the summer education person at the zoo.

4.) I spent a year working as a special education assistant for children with autism. It remains one of my favorite jobs.

5.) When we got married, Paul and I bought two goldfish and a bottom feeder fish. The goldfish were named Margaret and Alexander because I thought they were pretty names. The bottom feeder was named Paris Hilton. The next day, Alexander died and we replaced him. Paul decided we should number our fish so we (um, I) wouldn't get too attached and we christened the next one Number Three. Four years later, Margaret and Number Three are still alive and kicking. Before we got the dog we used to created obstacle courses for the fish in their tank. Now they're lucky to get fed.

6.) I have been known to cry at Pedigree commercials, 8th grade graduations, and anytime while watching other peoples' adoption videos. I did not cry during my own wedding ceremony or when we met our own kids.

7.) I spent every summer growing up living with my grandparents in the Adirondack Mountains. I was very spoiled.

8.) I am an only child. In four years of teaching I've only had one student who was the only child of both her parents. My students think I'm a freak.

9.) Cheaper By the Dozen was one of my favorite books as a child and I used to want 12 kids of my own. If we were to win the lottery and could both afford to stay home while also hiring a housekeeper I probably still would.

10.) I changed my major rather frequently in college. These included: Political Science, Women's Studies, Studio Art, Dance, Art History, English, and French. In my defense, declaring a major made it easier to get into classes in any particular discipline. The beauty of attending a liberal arts college is that I still graduated within 4 years.

I don't know many people in real life who haven't been tagged and I feel totally weird about tagging someone I don't actually know. There are actually a few, but I don't want to out their online identities without their consent... I will be tagging them on their own blogs though, so don't think I'm breaking the chain letter or anything and sentence me to death or something else equally horrible.

1 comment:

Lisa J. said...

I love the story about the 'local dive'. and hey, I live in the Adirondacks! Where did you stay?