Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Mother of All Baby Showers



The women in our family threw us an awesome baby shower yesterday. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law put so much thought and planning into the shower and it really was beautiful. There was a science fair-esque billboard explaining the adoption and facts about Ethiopia, pictures of the kids were displayed and a calender was passed and people signed up to bring us dinners after we get back (I'm so excited about that one! I can barely plan dinners now and forget to eat when Paul isn't home. I can't imagine I'm going to get better about that once the kids are here.)

My favorite game was one in which Paul had been given a list of questions about parenting ahead of time (e.g. How old will Norah have to be to get her ears pierced? Will the kids be allowed to play video games?) and then I had to guess what he'd answered. Every time I was wrong I had to put a stick of gum in my mouth. My mouth wasn't too full at the end, so I guess all of those questionaires we've had to answer throughout the adoption process have done their job.

There were many women that I don't really know at the shower - friends of my mom and Paul's mom. It was so amazing to me that people who don't even know us are praying for our family and waiting for good news. Friends, family and strangers have been so generous to us.

As you might imagine, we're now extremely well set in terms of baby gear and clothing. Today's quest is figuring out how to organize it. It's a nice challenge to have. Besides, it's so cold out today that I have no desire to leave the house.

I promised my mom I would post shower gift pictures for my grandma and other far-away relatives to see. Once everything is organized I'll add a few more. For now, here are some of the adorable outfits we now have for Norah and Atticus along with the name tag and picture our niece made for me.

4 comments:

Christina said...

How fun! I'm glad you had a wonderful time at your shower. You've reminded me to post pictures of my first shower, which was way back in November. You're making me look bad, chica ;). I love love LOVE the picture that your niece made for you. If it were me, I would frame it and hang it in the nursery - it is that cute! Congrats again, and have fun organizing your baby gear! BTW, I think I have some extra clear zipper bags (like the ones sheets come in) if you need any for packing. Just let me know and I can drop them by sometime this week. Happy packing!

chou-chou said...

wow - what a wonderful shower! And I love that game where you had to guess the answers -- very clever.

You obviously have a really great support system.

jana said...

oooo it sounds like it was so fun, i wish i coulda been there! i agree that you should frame and hang the picture your niece made for you. it's beautiful

Melissa B. said...

Betsy, I just love the shower game idea (with Paul answering questions ahead of time)...I'm giving a shower next Sunday...can I get a copy of the questions to use?