Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Doing the Snow Dance

I realized today that I won't be negatively affected by snow days this winter. The makeup days are scheduled while I'm still on maternity leave. I usually don't like taking days off for the weather because inevitably I end up snowed in at home alone while P is off at work. I get bored far too easily and end up either moping around or doing something stupid like painting a room the color of Crest.

However...we're supposed to get 4-8 inches of snow tonight and the windchill might be down to - 20 degrees AND I have a lot of stuff left to accomplish around the house. Perhaps a snow day is just the ticket. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

For other adoptive parents reading this, I'm curious about what you did in the week before traveling. We're not packed and the house isn't entirely ready, but I'm very anxious to get going. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Let's go! Enough of daily life - I'm ready for a change! Did you do anything fun or special to mark your last days without children? I'm looking for some good (and not too expensive) ideas.

6 comments:

Melissa B. said...

I think I spent the week before traveling packing, un-packing, re-packing, re-un-packing and then re-re-packing! How's that for inexpensive??? :-) There's also going through all your paperwork a second, third, fourth and fifth time to make sure you have everything. Or printing multiple copies of your flight itineraries incase you lose one. Actually, one helpful thing was making a couple meals to freeze for later. It was a big help later on the days when meals weren't being delivered by our beloved friends and family but we were too tired to cook ourselves.

Jenny said...

I think I did everything Melissa did. Pack, repack, weigh, pack donations, make lists of donations, make copies of itineraries, and pretty much obsess.

We left on a Saturday morning. Everything was ready to go on Thursday night except for last minute packing. We planned a "one last hurrah" date for Friday night. Low key, but fun. Went to our favorite pizza place ( 1 1/2 hrs away), stopped in to visit family, went to Sonic for our favorite smoothies, then came home and sat out on the deck, just talking. We split a bottle of wine and ended up dancing (not romantic at all, just silly)on the deck until way after dark.

Christina said...

I think I might spend a few hours watching the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with a big tub of ice cream. Want in?

Oh - we leave on Saturday an hour before your flight. Wanna ride to the airport together ;)?

Ed said...

Think you two should have a nice final "quiet" romantic dinner someplace special as it will probalby be your last time to be alone except for a couple of hours if you're able to convince a grandparent to baby sit sometime (as if you will have any problem in that area). Sounds like you won't have to worry about having any meals to eat.

shell said...

we were the same as melissa. i think the three kids we left here kept me busy enough, i dont remember what i did! i just remember spilling my starbucks on my shirt on my way to the airport, meaning 48 hours later when i arrived in addis, i still had the same darn stain on my shirt! you guys are going to have an awesome time!

Karen S said...

Hi, Betsy. It's been so long since I adopted 2 children at the same time that I don't really remember much about the week before. But I certainly remember the day the children came for a weekend "visit". Their social worker had placed pictures of me and their father on the dash of her car. Linda immediately pointed to the one of me and said, "That's my mommy." When she came to pick them up at the end of the visit, their social worker said it would be too traumatic for my daughter to be taken away, so if we truly planned to adopt them, they should stay with us. Which, or course, they did.

Linda was 3 years and 2 months old, Michael was 1 year and 3 months old at that time. They are now 43 and 41 respectively, and Linda and her husband have adopted a native American child who is now 7 years old and has fetal alcohol syndrome. Their own son is 11 and autistic, so they have their hands full.

I remember so many things when the kids were young - I'm sure you'll tuck yours away for review as you (and they) grow older.