Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

We have one million inches of snow here. That might be a slight exaggeration, but it is more than we've had in several years. It's beautiful and very, very cold.

My dad's birthday was today so I dug my car out of drifts up to the locks and ventured into the big white world for lunch. Happy birthday Daddy!
I only have four days left of vacation. I was actually awake and aware enough this morning to watch the Today Show from start to finish. I don't particularly like the Today Show, but I watch the first 7 minutes of it every
morning before leaving for school. They always tantalize me with their hints of great stories to come. Ways to Organize! How to Become a Millionaire! Those all seem so much more interesting than work at 7:07am. It's good to actually watch once in awhile and remind myself that the reality isn't that great.
I'm getting my travel immunizations tomorrow. I'm not afraid of shots but I am a little worried that they'll make me feel sick. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

chou-chou said...

Hey Betsy,

What a winter wonderland!! That looks really beautiful.

Just wanted to let you know that I got all my travel shots on the same day, and was just fine... I don't think you'll get sick.

And happy (late) birthday to your dad. :-)

Pennythrower said...

totally. you won't get sick at all. i am so happy for you that it's all moving along. i'm moving to vermont two weeks from today, so let's touch base soon! love you.

dcfullest said...

I had to get travel shots when I went to Kenya and I can't imagine that they would be a lot different for your trip. They didn't make me feel sick at all, I think my arm might have been sore for a day or two, but that was it.

Are you going to need to take malaria pills? They give most people very strange dreams-- either sexual ones or scary ones. I didn't mind my dreams :)

Diane said...

The shots made me slightly nauseated and very tired, but it only lasted a few hours. I got them all the same day. The really tough one was the oral typhoid vaccine. You have to take 4 pills every other day. It makes you feel kind of sick and it's hard to remember to take it. The malaria pills that cause the psycho side effects is called larium. Most docs prescribe malarone. Not as bad side effects allegedly.

AvocadoAbogada said...

One bit of advice on the Typhoid, because I've also been sick on that one. The package says that you can't eat for an hour after taking it. Don't -- but then eat immediately after that hour is up. Once I didn't do that, and I felt like I had Typhoid the whole day (fever, chills, tired, achy, digestive issues).

Betsy said...

Thanks for all the advice. Were you all totally lying about in not hurting or am I just a big baby?