Sunday, December 9, 2007

Vomiting in a Designated Receptacle = A Developmental Milestone?

There's a stomach bug going around my school right now. I had one student who made it to the bathroom in time (no small feat considering my classroom is on the third floor and the bathrooms are on the first) but a fourth grader projectile-vomited in the middle of church the other day. The other students handled it beautifully, but they did look relieved when I moved them to another pew. There's a lot of talk about developmental milestones like scooting, crawling, etc., but surely self-management of vomit should be included on this list, right? I know that's a skill I'll be really, really happy to see our kids master.

For about 10 minutes on Friday I was under the impression that we might travel to Ethiopia in the middle of January. While I would be delighted to bring Norah and Atticus home sooner than planned, it did make me panic a little. Holy cow, there are a lot of things to get done before they come home! A call to our adoption coordinator confirmed that we definitely won't be traveling until at least February. We're painting the nursery this weekend and I'll post some pictures when we finish later.

Paul and I also have to make some decisions about our travel plans this weekend. Our answers are due on Monday and the choices are harder than I'd imagined. I've been so excited about visiting Ethiopia ever since we started this journey. Now, though, I'm starting to get a little scared. It's sinking in that we're going to spend our first week as first-time parents in a developing country where we don't speak the language. I'm a little intimidated by that. I keep reminding myself that people do this all the time and come home with wonderful experiences to share.

1 comment:

Pennythrower said...

I agree, vomit management is important. Do post pics of the nursery soon! I can't wait to see it.
And you know why all those adoption blogs you read are replete with joyful stories about that visit? Because the 'developing' world refers merely to the economy. In every other way, they're lightyears ahead of 'us,' in terms of love, generosity, and kindness. I think the generosity is the key. People with NOTHING will offer you food, tea, and help when you're lost. Now, you may get screwed by the cab driver at the airport, but 'screwed' refers only to giving them a few more dollars than they'd expect from an Ethiopian. When I landed in Cairo years ago, not knowing the language at all, I ended up overpaying by ten bucks. I felt embarrassed, but then I was like... what the hell is ten bucks? Right? Right. It's going to be the most awesome experience ever, or at least until you get them home. Can't wait!!! I love you all!