Saturday, December 22, 2007

Six Weeks from Today...

We will be on our way to meet our babies. I booked our flights this morning! We will be leaving at noon on Saturday 2/2 from our hometown and flying to Dulles in Washington, DC where we'll spend the night with our friends Liz and Joe. The next morning we'll leave bright and early and fly directly to Addis Ababa where we'll arrive at 8:30 am on Monday and hopefully meet Norah and Atticus in the afternoon. For the record, that will be nine months to the day after submitting our paperwork to Ethiopia (although it did take us 6 months to complete all the paperwork and immigration stuff).

We'll depart Addis very late the evening of 2/12, fly to Dulles, connect through Chicago and then arrive home about 6:30 pm on 2/13. Phew! I'm delighted that we'll be able to bypass driving to and from Chicago, especially after the return flight home. Our transcontinental flight will be through Ethiopian Airlines which has the reputation for being one of the most family-friendly airlines out there. Our travel agent said on his last return trip from Addis he shared the plane with 22 children! At least our kids probably won't be the only ones being fussy on board!

6 comments:

Pennythrower said...

WOW, MEEM, GEEM (that's my Arabic rendition of O. M. G.)!!!! I am sooooooo happy for you both. I am so excited. This is fantastic news. I'm glad you went with EA; it's always nice to help the local economy. And a direct flight, too! Awesome. Love to you and P and A and N!

Amy said...

So, I just showed Helena and Leo the photos of the kids. And, Helena came barreling over to see them, and of course, Leo followed, because he's a copycat. And, Helena said, "Can you believe they have dark skin?! They will be our first dark-skinned cousins!"
As I've told you, she has quite a fondness for brown-toned skin! Anyway, thought that was funny.

chou-chou said...

Oh, this is so exciting!! I love hearing the travel plans, and it sounds like you have a great itinerary going.

Will you be stopping in Rome on the way for refueling, or is there a direct flight from DC? (I'm always looking for the best way to get to and from Addis!!)

Betsy said...

Chou-chou, the itinerary doesn't say anything about refueling in Rome, but I do recall seeing that on all the EA flights I looked at. Not having to get off the plane and transfer, however, will be great. I'm sure you're aware that a lot of other airlines go through Amsterdam and require an extra travel visa for the kids... I'm happy we're avoiding that. At this point any extra paperwork we can avoid is highly appreciated!

gerkat said...

Those pictures are adorable and I'm so excited for you to have travel dates! You're getting your kids!!!

shell said...

we flew out of here as well and it was HUGE! i am not sure how the ride home would have been from chicago, but i dont think well. please let us know if we can do anything!