Sunday, December 2, 2007

My Husband and I, We're Different People

The news that we have a court date and will probably be able to travel in mid-February or early March has affected Paul and I in very different ways.

My reaction: We only have 10-14 weeks to get ready!!! Oh my gosh!!! There's so much to do!!! We need to research strollers!!! Car seats!!! Diapers!!! Formula!!! We need shots!!! We need to paint the nursery!!! We need to paint the rest of the house since we'll never have time after the kids come home!!! We should be poking the dog and pulling on her ears and mouth indiscriminately to get her ready!!! I need to write 16 weeks worth of lesson plans to leave for a sub!!! Do we need scabies medicine to take with us?!!! What do babies eat?!!!

Paul's reaction: We have 10-14 weeks. That's a lot of time sweetie. We can probably wait and set the nursery up after they come home since they'll be sleeping in our room at first. Let's just take one thing at a time. Would you like me to go out to the backyard and collect some sticks for your nest?

I'm not bashing Paul - he's a wonderful counter-balance to my over-preparedness. Still, it appears we actually have real, live babies coming our way. Surely we should be getting ready, right?

We did clean out a closet and some cupboards this weekend. As of a few hours ago, we're the proud owners of a whole heck of a lot of cloth diapers and their accessories. Paul did some research and I'm pretty sure we've decided on car seats. These things seemed so simple when we were looking at other peoples' babies, but it turns out there are a lot of choices. Stella, for her part, has been experimenting with how many baby items she can fit in her mouth at once. I'm not too worried about her being rough with Norah and Atticus - she's always been great with other kids. Their stuff, however, might be in peril. She plunged her face into a box of hand-me-downs the other days and pulled out a mouthful of baby socks. You can fit a lot of baby socks in a dog's mouth. At least we don't have to worry about baby-proofing too much. Our social worker was delighted when she visited our house because she thought we'd already child-proofed it. Actually, we'd just learned to keep anything that an energetic lab might eat out of the way. It turns out that the two things are pretty much the same.

1 comment:

chou-chou said...

This is so funny - I can just see the two different personalities here. I am much more like you... I'm all about being prepared. Of course, it would be good if that were tempered by someone with your husband's personality. Sadly, it's not!! :-)

Happy nesting.