Monday, November 19, 2007

Read This Before Teaching

This past weekend I read The Great Expectations School: A Rookie Year in the New Blackboard Jungle by Dan Brown. Not the Dan Brown who wrote The Da Vinci Code in case you're wondering. This man graduated from NYU and then enrolled in a Teach For America-esque program and became a teacher at one of the most under-performing schools in the Bronx. He begins his tale with an account of punching his fist through a chalkboard in front of his 4th graders because he's so frustrated - you've got to love that kind of honesty.

It was exhausting to read this because there was so much I could relate to. It took me right back to those first months of teaching at my current school when I sat in my car each morning for two weeks and cried because it was so hard and I didn't want to go through another day of learning classroom management and The Unfairness of Life 101.

Anyhow, it was a great read and I'd recommend it to anyone who's thinking of entering the field of teaching - especially those headed for inner-city schools.

1 comment:

chou-chou said...

I've always been so totally impressed by people who can cut it as teachers.

I taught a an urban high school - one class, for one semester only, while I was in law school. It was great but also totally exhausting and there is NO WAY I could have dealt with a full day of that.

My hat is off to you, lady!!