Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mad at the Universe

I had no idea how little the police will do if your teenager runs away on his or her own accord. Apparently runaways, even those that could be in danger, are just not worth the trouble of finding. I'm paraphrasing here, but I'm just so freaking frustrated with the system right now. I can't imagine the state I'd be in if a child of mine disappeared. They don't dispatch bulletins about runaways to the news - I never realized that before. I had also never considered how hard it would be to be a non-English speaker in this type of situation. Who advocates for those families? How could being an undocumented citizen work against you, yet again, if you hesitated to file a report for fear of being deported?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. This is certainly very sad, very serious. I truly hope she is safe.

Anonymous said...

That is so awful. I'm praying that there's a good ending to this. Zoe

Pennythrower said...

What's even more depressing is to hear most presidential candidates talk about 'aliens' in their delightfully fear-mongering way. This case of your student is making me sick. How is her family doing?

Ed said...

Glad to at least know your student is OK and in contact with her friends. The radio here this morning just said that every parent should have their childs picture taken every six months, just in case something happens as the police etc. will need a current picture.