Sunday, October 21, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandma!


Today is my grandma's 88th birthday. She's one of the best grandma's ever. I spent all of my summers with my grandparents while I was growing up and she did all the things a grandma is supposed to do. We went berry-picking and made jam, they let me catch tadpoles and keep them to see what happened, they drove me hours each way to ballet class and supervised endless amounts of swimming at the lake. They spoiled me and made me feel like the center of the universe, which after all, is what grandparents are supposed to do.
My grandma is an inspiration to us all. She spent decades teaching and can still empathize with the problems I encounter in my own classroom. She probably reads more than anyone in my entire family, which says a lot since most of us are book fiends. My mom is there visiting her this weekend and it's safe to bet that they're probably out enjoying a nice fall day hiking in Vermont. I wish I could be there.
Happy Birthday Grandma! I love you!


1 comment:

leslie said...

i thoroughly enjoyed this..your mother called as i was reading this and i was in tears thinking of all aunt betty memories and crafts at camp.....she is definitely a treasure and so is your grampa ..... thinking of you and paul often...cant even imagine the wait you two are going thru but THE phone call will come....